Norway made clear that it will continue supplying fuel for U.S. Navy ships after recent reports concerning the naval support.
“We have seen reports raising concerns about support for US Navy vessels in Norway. This is not in line with the Norwegian government’s policy. I can confirm that all requested support has been provided. The U.S. and Norway maintain a close and strong defence cooperation,” Norway’s defence minister Tore O. Sandvik said in a statement Sunday.
“American forces will continue to receive the supply and support they require from Norway,” he added.
The Norwegian government has moved to ease concerns regarding the naval support, reaffirming that the US military would continue to receive necessary supplies for its operations in Norway.
Norway has long been an integral part of NATO but has been cautious of escalating tensions with Russia.
Europe is in crisis mode after a bitter clash between US president Donald Trump and the Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy at the White House, as it is unclear whether the Trump administration will pause the U.S. military aid to Ukraine.
“We stand by Ukraine in their fair struggle for a just and lasting peace,” said in a social media post Norway’s prime minister Jonas Gahr Støre.
The world saw first-hand last week how negotiations between the US and Ukraine are unfolding: they are difficult, emotional and tense, especially after the heated engagement between the US president Donald Trump and the Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy in front of the news media.
The argument led to the rest of Zelenskyy’s White House visit being cancelled and called into question how much the U.S. will still support Ukraine in its defense against Russia’s 2022 full-scale invasion.
During Zelenskyy’s visit to the United States last week, the US president told his Ukrainian counterpart to be “thankful” and that “he disrespected the United States of America in its cherished Oval Office.”
The Oval Office breakdown Friday prompted America’s European allies into emergency action.
Over the weekend, leaders from many countries and Ukraine got together to discuss a roadmap to peace and security for Ukraine.
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer on Monday laid out to the House of Commons a framework for a plan to end Russia’s war in Ukraine.
The prime minister outlined four key priorities that would guide the proposal. The first was to keep the military aid to Ukraine flowing… To do so, Starmer vowed the United Kingdom would ramp up its support for Ukraine. That includes a new £2.2 billion loan for Ukraine.
Starmer noted that the funds will not be coming from British taxpayers, but by the profits from frozen Russian assets.
Second, Starmer said, European leaders agreed that any lasting peace must guarantee the sovereignty and security of Ukraine.
A third goal was to ensure Ukraine had robust defensive capabilities to protect itself from any potential future invasions.
The fourth aim was to develop a “coalition of the willing” ready to defend a deal in Ukraine and guarantee the peace.
Commenting on the emergency summit with Zelenskyy, Trump posted yesterday on the Truth Social platform, “Europe, in the meeting they had with Zelenskyy, stated flatly that they cannot do the job without the U.S.”
“Probably not a great statement to have been made in terms of a show of strength against Russia,” Trump wrote.