The Panama Canal Authority (ACP) announced, through a notice to shipping companies, that effective August 26, 2026, the maximum authorized draft for vessels transiting the Neopanamax locks will be reduced to 48 feet (14.63 meters). A further adjustment will take effect on September 3, lowering the maximum draft to 47.5 feet (14.48 meters).

The measure is based on current water levels and projected conditions for the upcoming weeks in Gatun Lake.

The authority described the move as part of its ongoing water management and operational strategy aimed at ensuring the long-term sustainability of its operations.

“The draft adjustment will not affect the number of daily vessel transits,” the authority said, adding that it “reflects water conservation and resource management measures that have been in place since December 2025 as part of preparations for the 2026 dry season.”

NOAA NWS Climate Prediction Center said last week that there is a 69% chance of a historic event during the October-December 2026 season that would exceed the strength of previous El Niño events dating back to 1950.

According to NOAA’s August forecast released Thursday, the chances of experiencing impacts consistent with El Niño are larger, but they are not guaranteed.

In that same forecast, the center cautioned that El Niño is strengthening, with a greater than 90% chance of a very strong event during the Northern Hemisphere fall and winter 2026-27.

ACP said the measures announced are the result of operational planning informed by lessons learned during the 2023-2024 period, as well as hydrological analyses and historical data that support the canal’s operational decision-making process.

The reductions are the fourth and fifth draft adjustments announced by the authority.