Rolf Habben Jansen / Chief Executive Officer of Hapag-Lloyd AG / Photo credit: Hapag-Lloyd

Hapag-Lloyd’s acquisition of a minority stake in the Spinelli Group has been approved by the responsible antitrust authorities. The signing took place in September 2022, and Hapag-Lloyd has acquired 49 percent of the shares in one of Italy’s leading terminal and transport operators. The remaining 51 percent of the shares in the corporate group remain in the hands of the Spinelli family. The parties have agreed to not disclose any financial details of the deal, as the company highlights.

The acquisition is part of Hapag-Lloyd´s strategy to expand its involvement in the terminal sector, most recently through an agreement to acquire a stake in the terminal business of Chile-based SM SAAM.

Additionally, has taken stakes in JadeWeserPort in Wilhelmshaven, the Container Terminal Altenwerder in Hamburg, Terminal TC3 in Tangier, and Terminal 2 in Damietta, Egypt, which is currently under construction.

Hapag-Lloyd currently has a fleet of 252 modern container ships and a total transport capacity of 1.8 million TEU, and the company has around 14,500 employees, and more than 400 offices in 137 countries. Hapag-Lloyd is one of the leading operators in the Transatlantic, Middle East, Latin America and Intra-America trades.

Source: Hapag-Lloyd