
A tanker was boarded by armed persons in the Gulf of Aden off Yemen, with the attackers taking control of the vessel and steering it towards Somalia.
The tanker has been hijacked by six-armed persons who took control of the vessel and diverted it towards Somalia, the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) said on Thursday.
The status and safety of the crew remained unclear.
UKMTO said in an advisory that it received a report of an incident 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla, Yemen.
The incident has been classified as a hijacking, with authorities investigating.
The tanker had earlier broadcast a distress call on VHF 16, reporting that it had been approached by an unauthorised vessel whilst travelling west in the Gulf of Aden.
In an update, UKMTO said it had received confirmation that six-armed persons had boarded the tanker and were now in control of the vessel. The tanker was subsequently redirected to Somalia.
Authorities are investigating the incident.
EU Maritime Security Centre Indian Ocean (MSCIO) also reported an incident 136 nautical miles east of Al Mukalla, Yemen, in the Gulf of Aden.
MSCIO issued alert that the tanker had initially broadcast a distress call on VHF 16, reporting that it had been approached by an unauthorised vessel while transiting westbound.
Operation ATALANTA is investigating the incident and monitoring the situation. MSCIO advised vessels operating in the area to maintain heightened vigilance, adhere to BMP-MS, and report immediately any suspicious activity or relevant information to MSCIO and UKMTO.
The hijacking comes amid a rise in attempted attacks on vessels in the Gulf of Aden, raising fresh concerns over maritime security along key shipping routes.

